Nick Littlemore and Peter Mayes Launch Record Label LAB78 with etcetc, with First Project, Vlossom
5 Nov 2019
Today Nick Littlemore and Peter Mayes officially launch their record label, Lab78. With a discography spanning 20 years, the enigmatic duo has been a foundation of decades of dancing around the world. From the chart-topping PNAU, the globally-renowned Empire of the Sun, and alt-rock project Teenager, the pair’s influence spans further into music direction and composing for Cirque Du Soleil, soundtracking for Disney, as well as work with the power pop pedigree of Elton John, Robbie Williams, Ellie Goulding and Groove Armada. Littlemore and Mayes are icons of the arts, and arguably a jewel of Australia’s music culture.
On starting their own label, Littlemore said, “The reason we started Lab78 was because we were meeting these very special people, these beings. Peter and I wanted to bring them into our fold so we may make the records that we felt not only did the artist desire or deserve, but the world deserved, and use our expertise, with the help of these wonderful artists like Alister Wright, like Ivy who you are yet to meet, and bring them out to the world.”
Partnering with etcetc (the label home for PNAU since 2006), Lab78’s A&R and creative will be strongly driven by Littlemore and Mayes, while label services will be carried out by the team at etcetc. General Manager of etcetc, Aden Mullens spoke of the partnership, “Setting up this label with Nick and Peter has really been awe-inspiring. Nick and Peter are hyper-creative individuals with a masterful vision for authenticity and substance. We’re really excited about the projects to come on Lab78 and supporting them in their vision across a broad cross-section of career artists.”
The first release on Lab78 is a collaboration with Blue Mountains native Alister Wright on a project tilted Vlossom. Some may know Wright as the front man of alt-rock band Cloud Control, or his single with multi-platinum artists Peking Duk. Littlemore and Mayes co-wrote and produced a body of work with Wright over a multitude of sessions on both sides of the Pacific, which evolved to symphonise elements of pop, psych-rock and electronic music into something strangely multisensory and undeniably transformative. “We both connect on a naïve, child-like urge to play and have make-believe come real,” explains Littlemore. “Alister is a pretty open-minded guy, like me, and thus we’ve both explored some pretty interesting headspaces. Often times he’ll sing something that just once, but I can see a sea of people in a festival echoing back. Those kind of moments, they demand repetition. Everyone feels the undeniable, where we all feel the love of another, that kinship. Each listen deepens the experience. He sung a world into existence and now it’s time for me to chart it, like a cartographer.”
During the sessions, Wright had a vision of laughing flowers—an echo of the psychedelic revelation that inspired the project’s name. “The word ‘Vlossom’ felt emblematic of the emotion that we wanted to channel, and it also went along with the idea of this project being a way to bring something back from another world and give it a home in this one,” Wright says.
Ahead of the release of Vlossom’s first single ‘Catch Your Breath’, Littlemore goes into story-telling mode as he narrates his first feelings towards Wright, how the project began and came into being. Littlemore also offers more details about Lab78. Listen to the introduction to Vlossom here: https://vlossom.lnk.to/introducing
The first release on Lab78, Vlossom’s debut single ‘Catch Your Breath’ will be released on Friday, November 15th.
- / Fresh Off Her Joyous Like A Version, Alice Ivy Takes On Remix Duties For Pnau’s ‘River’ Featuring Ladyhawke
- / Nicholas Littlemore Doubles Winners In Triple J's Unearthed Songwriting Competition
- / FAQ for PNAU x Nicholas Keays Crypto-Art Collectables
- / Triple J Unearthed Competition with Nick Littlemore from PNAU
- / etcetc Yearbook: 2020
- / Luboku Releases Stunning Full Length Live Performance of “Space Walk” Album
- / Jax Jones Remixes Xmas Classic 'Ave Maria' for Apple Music
- / George Maple Announces 'MYTH' at the Sydney Opera House
- / Adelaide Duo China Roses Unveil Bouncy New Single 'Worst Enemy' Alongside Official Music Video
- / FISHER, Wongo, & Dimity Stoyle Lead The Star-Studded Cast In Little Fritter's 'CHA CHA' Video
- / PNAU & Vlossom nominated for 2020 AIR Awards
- / 5 Things We Learned From Nick Littlemore's Reddit AMA
- / A Decade of Dance and your chance to record and release a classic
- / Explore the Multi-Dimensional World of PNAU with the Colourful & Vibrant 'Lucky' Video
- / Can You Guess What Some of Our etcetc Fam Have Been Bingeing On During Iso?
- / etcetc Artists Get Behind International Women's Day and Shout Out Emerging Talent
- / Leading-Edge Sydney Label Sidechains Drop Third Compilation Album 'Sidechains Club Vol.3'
- / Duke Dumont Set To Play Splendour's Biggest Line-Up Ever
- / Jax Jones Visits Australian Wild-life Amid Devastating Bush Fire Crisis
- / Vlossom to Play First Australian Shows Live at Sydney's Lansdowne Hotel in January
- / Sydney Three-Piece The Goods Deliver 'Peach' Remixes + Limited Edition 7" Vinyl
- // Nick Littlemore and Peter Mayes Launch Record Label LAB78 with etcetc, with First Project, Vlossom //
- / Are you ready for Aus Music T-Shirt Day?
- / Australia's POOLCLVB #1 Most Played on SiriusXM Chill
- / Martin Ikin Releases Highly Anticipated Single ‘Hooked’ on Catch & Release and etcetc Music
- / etcetc Joins Forces with Innovative Sydney Label 'Sidechains'
- / Flash 89 Signs to etcetc and Announces New Tech-house Heater 'Body Talk'
- / George Maple Signs to etcetc & Releases New Single 'Magic Woman'
- / FISHER Goes Platinum With 'Losing It'
- / Doolie Signs to etcetc Music & Releases New Single '2:20' feat. Charlie Threads
- / Donatachi Signs to etcetc & Releases New Single 'Do What I Want' feat. Evangeline
- / 5 Female Artists You Need To Know Right Now
- / ‘Losing It’ Voted #2 in the 2018 triple j Hottest 100 Countdown
- / CLYPSO Teams Up With Sophiegrophy for 'Strange Behaviour' Video
- / FISHER Goes Gold With 'Losing It'
- / PNAU’s Go Bang wins Best Dance Release at the 2018 ARIA Awards
- / CLYPSO Signs to etcetc Music + Announces Debut EP
- / Huge Merch Sale Ahead of Ausmusic T-Shirt Day
- / Luboku Signs to etcetc Music + Announces Debut EP
- / etcetc Receives Nine Nominations for 2018 ARIA Awards
- / Sydney's BRUX Emerges As Producer, Songwriter & Vocalist Triple-Threat
- / FISHER Signs New Recordings Deal with etcetc Music
- / Paces Celebrates ZAG With Warehouse Album Launch
- / Paces Drops New Single 'Technique', Announces 14-Date Album Tour & Issues ZAG Party Pack
- / PNAU Win Two AIR Awards After Huge Splendour In The Grass Performance
- / Introducing: George Michelle
- / Pnau Release 2018 Tour Edition of Changa Ahead Of Aus Tour
- / WATCH: Paces - Call The 5-0 Official Video Starring Paces, Midas.Gold & Tigerilla
- / POOLCLVB Releases Limited Edition 'Freefall' Tees With Proceeds To Beyond Blue
- / Paces Drops New Single 'Call The 5-0' + Announces Sophomore Album ZAG
- / Airwolf Shares 'Chasing You' Official Video + Free Download From UK Tastemaker T.Williams
- / POOLCLVB Unveils Acoustic Version of 'Freefall', Adds More Shows To National Tour Including Splendour In The Grass!
- / Duke Dumont Drops Official Video For 'Inhale' Ahead Of Landing In Aus
- / Bearcubs Shares Stunning Video For 'Landslide'
- / PNAU & POOLCLVB Join The Splendour In The Grass 2018 Lineup
- / POOLCLVB Unveils New Single 'Freefall' feat. Doolie & Announces National Freefall Tour
- / etcetc Wins Indie Label of the Year at The Music Network Tinnies Awards
- / FISHER Kicks Off Crowd Control World Tour
- / PNAU Ditch Traditional ARIA After Party & Celebrate With Fans At Sydney's Club 77
- / Pnau To Perform Live At The 2017 ARIA Awards
- / New York's Walker & Royce Announce Australia & New Zealand ‘Self Help’ Album Tour
- / Jax Jones Announces Australian & New Zealand Tour
- / Pnau 'Go Bang' With New Single & Video
- / Klue Takes New Live Show On The Road For 'Closer'
- / Jax Jones Launches 'House Work' Beats1 Radio Show
- / PNAU Receive Two ARIA Award Nominations + ‘Chameleon' Goes Triple Platinum
- / Kilter Shares New Ninajirachi Remix of Waste Time feat. Woodes
- / Paces Announces National 'Creepin' Tour
- / Pnau Drop 3 New Tracks & Announce Forthcoming Album 'Changa'
- / Paces Drops Fresh New Merch Line
- / etcetc sign Paces to Republic Records
- / Kilter Announces Regional Tour & Remix for Duke Dumont & Gorgon City
- / Kilter shares Video and Remixes for 'I Hear You'
- / Sam Sparro Announces Australian Tour
- / Jax Jones goes Double Platinum in Australia and drops New Single
- / Eye Love View Sold Out + Set Times
- / Who Would You Get 250m High With?
- / Kilter shares Three New Tracks from his Forthcoming Album
- / Luke Million's Record Store Day Score
- / Luke Million works with George Byrne on sublime video for ‘Back To The Rhythm'
- / Kilter Announces Debut Album and National Tour for June
- / JNTHN STEIN added to The Great Escape Line Up and joins Kilter on select North American dates
- / 'Chameleon' goes Double Platinum in Australia and sign to Island Records UK & Germany and Elektra Records France
- / Watch Kilter and Lanks Perform Raw, Acoustic Version of ‘Count On Me’
- / Paces Unveils 'Savage' Video & Kicks Off Australian Tour
- / Kilter Shares New Single and Announces 15-date North American Tour
- / Pnau Top 5 ARIA Single 'Chameleon' goes Platinum
- / POOLCLVB takes on Mixmag's The Lab
- / etcetc sign U.S. producer & multi-instrumentalist JNTHN STEIN of Team Supreme
- / DANCEetc at Taylor's Rooftop comes to an end
- / etcetc Yearbook - an Album of 2016 Hits, Unsung gems and excluvies from the label
- / One Huge EMC Play Showcase
- / Kilter drops epic Video and Remixes to the Song of the Summer 'They Don't Know Us'
- / PNAU Share First Single In Five Years 'Chameleon'
- / POOLCLVB release first single from forthcoming EP
- / Airwolf signs to etcetc Music & Nuffsaid Agency, with new single 'Talking Bass'
- / Kilter shares new single 'They Don't Know Us'
- / Kilter Announces National September Tour