Nicholas Littlemore Doubles Winners In Triple J's Unearthed Songwriting Competition
19 Feb 2021
triple j Unearthed’s first ever ‘Collab Comp’, offered emerging Australian artists the opportunity to write music with a true icon – musician, producer, singer-songwriter Nick Littlemore. He's fronts PNAU, co-chairs Empire Of The Sun, is frequent Elton John collaborator and as worked alongside global names such as Ariana Grande, Robbie WIlliams, Icona Pop, Zedd, Ellie Goulding, Elderbrook, Vera Blue and Groove Armada. Littlemore is not short of talent, or songwriting credits.
Today, in an interview with triple j’s Breakfast team Bryce & Ebony, Nick announced on air he’d chosen not five, but ten winners he'd like to work with from the Unearthed competition entry pool. As you’d expect, these winners are a melding pot of unique, dynamic, creative acts he’s eager to work with while here in Australia. A genuine testament to the talented artists coming through Unearthed, as well as the generous nature of Littlemore himself. He explains, "there is an overwhelming amount of talent and that’s why I feel it’s right to choose 10 winners”
The 'Collab Comp' competition was announced in January 2021, with entries made by submitting a song to triple j’s Unearthed platform during a 6 week window. Winners were announced by Nick and triple j on 19th February 2021. The Unearthed website and digital radio station is an undisputed hotbed of unsigned and emerging Australian recording artists starting the careers of most notably Flume, Courtney Barnett, RUFUS Du Sol, Vance Joy & Tkay Maidza. Littlemore states, “it’s really been a dream of mine for a while to collab like this with Unearthed"
without further ado, here are the 2021 Collab Comp winners (in alphabetical order):
Nicholas Littlemore (NL): This one is giving me a lot of sun electric and bicep energy, love that she’s producing and singing, I feel we will connect deeply on emotive textures and beats.
NL: These girls sound like a lot of fun, I’m well keen to make some dirty rock n roll. Liking their attitude and the humor in their clips. very interested to see how we can reinvent the sound of rock for 2021.
NL: Conjures up my beloved Nightmares on Wax, that proper anorak crate digging energy, great production and a beautiful voice.
NL: She reminds me of the record I made with Celia Pavey (Vera Blue), but she’s got this attitude to bring along with that angelic voice. Very excited to see where our experiments will land.
INL: found her a while back when she put out ‘Dewi’, she exists in her own space, both the quiet stillness and the feeling of 90’s Hip Hop / R n B.
NL: I’ve found myself singing Laurence’s new record “Shark” since I came across it. Loving his visual work as well, being a dancer I feel the connection will be powerful, a performative balletic piece filled with emotion.
NL: Love this! Hearing her works makes me giddy with the prospect of making music together. She clearly has a handle over music but still allows for the truer voice to shine through, not letting the sound take over. Great emotion.
NL: Ninajirachi is hipper than me, she’s making beats I’ve not encountered yet! Surely destined for big crowds playing her slamming records, feels like we will make some danger here.
NL: I’ve been aware of their music for a little while, I really want to explore what is possible with these three, seems like we could do anything from Kings of Convenience to Tindersticks, French band Air and my favorite - Psychic TV.
THE BOY OF MANY COLORS
NL: It takes me to places I know I want to go, I love that he is a multi disciplinary artist, I feel we can make something that will make you move and cut to the heart.
We look forward to hearing what’s to come from these exciting sessions. For those who didn’t win, not to worry. Littlemore eagerly said ‘I’d like to do this every year’. Stay tuned!
- // Nicholas Littlemore Doubles Winners In Triple J's Unearthed Songwriting Competition //
- / FAQ for PNAU x Nicholas Keays Crypto-Art Collectables
- / Triple J Unearthed Competition with Nick Littlemore from PNAU
- / etcetc Yearbook: 2020
- / Luboku Releases Stunning Full Length Live Performance of “Space Walk” Album
- / Jax Jones Remixes Xmas Classic 'Ave Maria' for Apple Music
- / George Maple Announces 'MYTH' at the Sydney Opera House
- / Adelaide Duo China Roses Unveil Bouncy New Single 'Worst Enemy' Alongside Official Music Video
- / FISHER, Wongo, & Dimity Stoyle Lead The Star-Studded Cast In Little Fritter's 'CHA CHA' Video
- / PNAU & Vlossom nominated for 2020 AIR Awards
- / 5 Things We Learned From Nick Littlemore's Reddit AMA
- / A Decade of Dance and your chance to record and release a classic
- / Explore the Multi-Dimensional World of PNAU with the Colourful & Vibrant 'Lucky' Video
- / Can You Guess What Some of Our etcetc Fam Have Been Bingeing On During Iso?
- / etcetc Artists Get Behind International Women's Day and Shout Out Emerging Talent
- / Leading-Edge Sydney Label Sidechains Drop Third Compilation Album 'Sidechains Club Vol.3'
- / Duke Dumont Set To Play Splendour's Biggest Line-Up Ever
- / Jax Jones Visits Australian Wild-life Amid Devastating Bush Fire Crisis
- / Vlossom to Play First Australian Shows Live at Sydney's Lansdowne Hotel in January
- / Sydney Three-Piece The Goods Deliver 'Peach' Remixes + Limited Edition 7" Vinyl
- / Nick Littlemore and Peter Mayes Launch Record Label LAB78 with etcetc, with First Project, Vlossom
- / Are you ready for Aus Music T-Shirt Day?
- / Australia's POOLCLVB #1 Most Played on SiriusXM Chill
- / Martin Ikin Releases Highly Anticipated Single ‘Hooked’ on Catch & Release and etcetc Music
- / etcetc Joins Forces with Innovative Sydney Label 'Sidechains'
- / Flash 89 Signs to etcetc and Announces New Tech-house Heater 'Body Talk'
- / George Maple Signs to etcetc & Releases New Single 'Magic Woman'
- / FISHER Goes Platinum With 'Losing It'
- / Doolie Signs to etcetc Music & Releases New Single '2:20' feat. Charlie Threads
- / Donatachi Signs to etcetc & Releases New Single 'Do What I Want' feat. Evangeline
- / 5 Female Artists You Need To Know Right Now
- / ‘Losing It’ Voted #2 in the 2018 triple j Hottest 100 Countdown
- / CLYPSO Teams Up With Sophiegrophy for 'Strange Behaviour' Video
- / FISHER Goes Gold With 'Losing It'
- / PNAU’s Go Bang wins Best Dance Release at the 2018 ARIA Awards
- / CLYPSO Signs to etcetc Music + Announces Debut EP
- / Huge Merch Sale Ahead of Ausmusic T-Shirt Day
- / Luboku Signs to etcetc Music + Announces Debut EP
- / etcetc Receives Nine Nominations for 2018 ARIA Awards
- / Sydney's BRUX Emerges As Producer, Songwriter & Vocalist Triple-Threat
- / FISHER Signs New Recordings Deal with etcetc Music
- / Paces Celebrates ZAG With Warehouse Album Launch
- / Paces Drops New Single 'Technique', Announces 14-Date Album Tour & Issues ZAG Party Pack
- / PNAU Win Two AIR Awards After Huge Splendour In The Grass Performance
- / Introducing: George Michelle
- / Pnau Release 2018 Tour Edition of Changa Ahead Of Aus Tour
- / WATCH: Paces - Call The 5-0 Official Video Starring Paces, Midas.Gold & Tigerilla
- / POOLCLVB Releases Limited Edition 'Freefall' Tees With Proceeds To Beyond Blue
- / Paces Drops New Single 'Call The 5-0' + Announces Sophomore Album ZAG
- / Airwolf Shares 'Chasing You' Official Video + Free Download From UK Tastemaker T.Williams
- / POOLCLVB Unveils Acoustic Version of 'Freefall', Adds More Shows To National Tour Including Splendour In The Grass!
- / Duke Dumont Drops Official Video For 'Inhale' Ahead Of Landing In Aus
- / Bearcubs Shares Stunning Video For 'Landslide'
- / PNAU & POOLCLVB Join The Splendour In The Grass 2018 Lineup
- / POOLCLVB Unveils New Single 'Freefall' feat. Doolie & Announces National Freefall Tour
- / etcetc Wins Indie Label of the Year at The Music Network Tinnies Awards
- / FISHER Kicks Off Crowd Control World Tour
- / PNAU Ditch Traditional ARIA After Party & Celebrate With Fans At Sydney's Club 77
- / Pnau To Perform Live At The 2017 ARIA Awards
- / New York's Walker & Royce Announce Australia & New Zealand ‘Self Help’ Album Tour
- / Jax Jones Announces Australian & New Zealand Tour
- / Pnau 'Go Bang' With New Single & Video
- / Klue Takes New Live Show On The Road For 'Closer'
- / Jax Jones Launches 'House Work' Beats1 Radio Show
- / PNAU Receive Two ARIA Award Nominations + ‘Chameleon' Goes Triple Platinum
- / Kilter Shares New Ninajirachi Remix of Waste Time feat. Woodes
- / Paces Announces National 'Creepin' Tour
- / Pnau Drop 3 New Tracks & Announce Forthcoming Album 'Changa'
- / Paces Drops Fresh New Merch Line
- / etcetc sign Paces to Republic Records
- / Kilter Announces Regional Tour & Remix for Duke Dumont & Gorgon City
- / Kilter shares Video and Remixes for 'I Hear You'
- / Sam Sparro Announces Australian Tour
- / Jax Jones goes Double Platinum in Australia and drops New Single
- / Eye Love View Sold Out + Set Times
- / Who Would You Get 250m High With?
- / Kilter shares Three New Tracks from his Forthcoming Album
- / Luke Million's Record Store Day Score
- / Luke Million works with George Byrne on sublime video for ‘Back To The Rhythm'
- / Kilter Announces Debut Album and National Tour for June
- / JNTHN STEIN added to The Great Escape Line Up and joins Kilter on select North American dates
- / 'Chameleon' goes Double Platinum in Australia and sign to Island Records UK & Germany and Elektra Records France
- / Watch Kilter and Lanks Perform Raw, Acoustic Version of ‘Count On Me’
- / Paces Unveils 'Savage' Video & Kicks Off Australian Tour
- / Kilter Shares New Single and Announces 15-date North American Tour
- / Pnau Top 5 ARIA Single 'Chameleon' goes Platinum
- / POOLCLVB takes on Mixmag's The Lab
- / etcetc sign U.S. producer & multi-instrumentalist JNTHN STEIN of Team Supreme
- / DANCEetc at Taylor's Rooftop comes to an end
- / etcetc Yearbook - an Album of 2016 Hits, Unsung gems and excluvies from the label
- / One Huge EMC Play Showcase
- / Kilter drops epic Video and Remixes to the Song of the Summer 'They Don't Know Us'
- / PNAU Share First Single In Five Years 'Chameleon'
- / POOLCLVB release first single from forthcoming EP
- / Airwolf signs to etcetc Music & Nuffsaid Agency, with new single 'Talking Bass'
- / Kilter shares new single 'They Don't Know Us'
- / Kilter Announces National September Tour